Friday 7 December 2007

the 'I met you in a past life' story

I thought I'd be writing about this with a bit more sarcasm and a tad more relish. But actually, the more I think about it the more depressing it seems.
To cut a long, confusing and rambling story short-
I was feeling a bit low (as it turned out was just because I was getting ill which has been a fairly regular occurrence in India), my yoga teacher noticed and drew loads of attention to me during the class. I somehow couldn't find a polite way to tell this person where to go. He blew the whole thing out of proportion and decided that I was feeling this way because of a reaction my soul was having to his (apparently we knew each other from a past life...).
So, that was a bit creepy.
Anyway,
he had this disciple type woman who seemed to be quite in awe of him and they were both 'reiki masters'. he asked me to come back later so we could all talk about reiki etc. I decided to go and just explain that I wasn't interested and don't have the kind of beliefs that would allow me to agree with his perception of the situation. I went and the whole thing was creepy and, I can't find any other word than, 'phoney'. I think had I been a more vulnerable person or more unhappy and in need of answers then they both could have probably drawn me in. I think my initial plan to debate the thing with them was unrealistic. When people operate this way they don't tend to be rational, probably because they're too busy being mystical and persuasive. I'm making it seem like some kind of cultish thing. Perhaps that's a bit overdramatic. When I was speaking with the two of them they came out with a lot of stuff which I can imagine people might find appealing and a lot of spiritual ideas and explanations. But it felt manipulative, and must do to most people since he'd only actually recruited one 'disciple'!
I seem to be becoming more of a confirmed atheist here than anything else!
I met someone the other day who had also met this bloke and he said he found him quite fake as well. He didn't seem to have had quite the same experience as me, though.

1 comment:

Shoofy's Gypsy said...

I think if I knew anyone in this life in a past life it'd be you! And I don't remember some dodgy yoga master hanging around with us in the last life... he is obvously deeply confused, I wish I'd been there to confront him with you, he wouldn't have stood a chance, think Constantine and red shoes! :-) don't let the bastards get you down! x