Monday 4 June 2007

Greetings from Austria

Gruss Gott!!
That's like 'good day' or 'god bless' or something in German, in case you didn't know. For those of you who did know, I am well aware that I'm a patronising wench, and what can I say... I'm working on it!
I enjoy saying 'gruss gott' very much because to me it sounds like 'great scott!!' or 'gross gut' both of which are equally entertaining to me. So when I'm walking around the corridors at the school I'm working at I'm barking 'gruss gott' at people (mostly Austrian teaching staff) all over the place.

Of course, they love it. Actually that's a lie, they just look a bit bewildered. I suspect Austrians may not have an equivalent of the banal British 'Alright!'. So it just weirds them out to have this Englisher barking 'good day' at them and grinning, especially as most have no idea who I am.

No comments: